Monday, April 5, 2010

Inquiry based instruction

We discussed ways to use Webquest options at webquest.org. Webquest has inquiry lessons that presents the students with a situation and a task to go with it. My group's task was to create a brochure for Henderson Nevada because a family wanted to take a trip there but didn't know what to do while they were there. Each family member enjoyed different activities so our brochure was to have information about each of their interests, other options for them to participate in, facts about Henderson, and also maps or accommodations information. I liked the idea of a brochure but I felt like this specific webquest task was more busy work and several of the links were not working any more. As we presented in class some webquests I thought that sounded engaging and like good inquiry lessons. Some favorites I heard were about the seasons and how you should dress for that weather. One example had the students trace a student on paper and then color the type of cloths they should wear for each season. I also really liked the idea of inventors and inventions where they were to think of their favorite toys and find out who invented them and then if they were to invent something what would it be. I can see how these lessons can be a great resource, I just was not impressed with the one that my group found.

No comments:

Post a Comment