Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Embarrassing Petty Pennies

I returned some children's books today that I checked out from the Logan Library for a lesson I gave a few weeks ago. While I was out-and-about I did some other errands. One was trying to get some more laundry money. I stopped by the bank in town and just drove through the drive up window. My check was for 12.99. I wanted to get cash back but I didn’t really want to get 99 cents back so I paper clipped a penny with my slip and check. The lady smiled when she saw but tried to hide the disbelief on her face. When she was processing it she told me that she had thought that I just found a penny and wanted to deposit it but then realized there was a check with the slip and the penny was to round it up to $13. I laughed and agreed that I didn’t really want to deal with just 99 cents. As I am saying this the arm is extending towards my car but when it opened there was no cash in it, just a deposit slip. She had gone through all of that with the penny just for me to deposit it all. I was somewhat embarrassed and didn’t want to explain that I had wanted cash back so I just smiled awkwardly and drove home, still a bit bewildered.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha oh Kieley, I love people like you at my credit union. I hate when people come in and want to cash a check for like 53.94 or 104.98. Nothing makes me happier than when they give me the change to put it up to an even amount or if they just tell me to deposit the change and give them the rest back in cash. But I have to admit it is pretty fuuny that she just deposited it. Even if you had filled out a slip wrong or something, which I have no idea if you did, when I saw that penny I am pretty sure that I would assume you were cashing it. Hahaha, o man that just really cracks me up. I miss you Kie!

    ReplyDelete